The aim of the project is to build and establish a Dairy facility owned by an cooperative of nomadic herders in the area of the village Khatgal, Khovsgol province in the northern Mongolia. The aim is to improve the local herders possibility to produce milk products of a high quality that can be sold to a third party. As it is now, the herders can only sell their products locally and in a short period, because of the traditional and primitive storage and production methods. Building a Dairy facility with international standards for food safety and hygiene, will improve the possibility for the herders to sell their products outside the village to the bigger city’s where there are potential costumers. The products will mainly be traditional Mongolian milk products, supporting the Mongolian lifestyle and creating a livelihood and job opportunities for the local herders.
The long-term aim of Khovsgol Dairy Project is to build and establish a Dairy facility owned and managed by a cooperative of nomadic herders Sarlagiin Saikhan Khishig.
On the short term we want to improve Sarlagiin Saikhan Khishig cooperation´s possibility to produce dairy (products) of a high quality that can be sold to a third party.
In addition, the herders will be trained in hygiene and commodity handling of milk, which will increase the general health of the population and prevent diseases.
The project will create local jobs and provide a boost to the entire region, which can help reverse the trend of urban migration.
To improve the livelihood and quality of life of the nomadic herders in the Khatgal area.
1) Dairy approach: optimization of milk quality, milk hygiene, storage and safe delivery. Products and processes. Dairy education.
2) Organizational approach: capacity building of cooperative including ways of cooperation, mechanisms for milk delivery and savings.
3) Agricultural approach: feed optimization, enhanced shelter / protecting cattle from harsh weather conditions.
Phase 1 ( 2-3 years)
Capacity building SSKH by setting up a small shop, dairy production, distribution and sales centre in Khatgal, so SSKH can produce high quality dairy products for sale. SSKH will be trained in handling and delivering dairy products of high standard and quality to customers and tourist camps in Khovsgol .
Phase 2-4 (6-8 years)
A long-term sustainable project in 2-3 phases, which involves the construction of a small dairy and dairy production of manly traditional Mongolian milk products.
Strategy for 2016-18
1. Capacity building of SSKH to develop their organization.
2. Setting up a milk collection and sales centre in Khatgal, so SSKH can produce high quality dairy products for sale.
3. Provide hygiene and commodity handling courses for the herders and provide appropriate training on milk quality control.
4. Develop a training strategy for the future staff of the dairy facility. Choosing 2-4 young people from Khatgal to study at School of Food Industrial technology in Ulaanbaatar.
Khovsgol Dairy Project is paying for the education of two young girls, Nyamdelger and Enkhtuya, from Khatgal soum/village as Dairy Technologists at MUST, Mongolian University of Science and Technology. The education takes 4,5 years and Nyamdelger and Enkhtuya will also take intensive English classes during this period.
The tuition fee is 1.987.500 MNT and dormitory cost is 550.000 MNT pr. year. Khovsgol Dairy Project also pay 100.000 MNT per month for the food and book expenses. The total cost the educate Nyamdelger and Enkhtuya as Dairy Technicians will be 3.737.500 MNT pr. year. This is approximately 1.800 US$.
If you want to support the education of Nyamdelger and Enkhtuya please click on this link. Nyamdelger, Enkhtuya and Khovsgol Dairy Project will be grateful for any amount.
Problem tree analysis
Goal tree analysis
The Danish dairy team from Danish Dairy Technology without Borders, Lisbeth Knarreborg, Sten Holmgaard Sørensen and Uffe Mortensen has produced this thorough report from the data collected on the feasibility study trip 4th July- 8th August 2015.